The Only Brother


Abang ! I turned to that childish voice and caught his eyes. There he goes again, ambitiously telling me stories of his day, how was school and what did he learned, with his eyes wide and hands everywhere . Cuteness overload. `Abang, can I sleep with you tonight ?`. I smiled and picked him up before we both lie on bed. Questions after questions, tirelessly thinking of everything around him. Are there any monsters under the bed? Why do zombie eat peoples? Why Superman wears underwear outside of his suits? What a nostalgic recollection of a childish delight, knowing that I used to ask and ponder on the same questions back then.
For a seven years old, he's smarter than his age, he does not only read, but also questions what he read. Whenever I see the rain and rushed for shelter, he sees rainbow and played with the water. When darkness filled the room, he turned on the torch light and played with the shadows on the wall, sometime it's a bird, sometime it's a butterfly, most of the time it would be his imagination from the cartoons he watched. When I see ethnicity and races, he sees people. Through his childish eyes, he sees possibilities in everything, choices in every challenges and fearless of the words from other people for their only concern are their toys and candy.
Looking at him sometimes really makes me want to be a child again, indulged in utmost luxury. I pointed at the cluster of stars outside the window, forming Sagittarius on the night sky while he continue to draw the pattern in his mind and trying to piece the puzzle of the universe. He kept on trying to see until he's too tired and fell asleep like a sleeping child he is. Even the moon shined brightly that night, saying goodnight to him as he took off to Neverland. As I look at his face, I know that he's having a dream far more wonderful than I would. Reached for the thick blanket to cover his cold and shivering hands, If only all the kings and leaders could see you and have a mind like yours, brother.